Solution to Rule of nines

Like

The correct answer is 2. Using the rule of nines, the face represents 4.5%, and the upper extremity represents 4.5%, making a total of 9% for this patient. The "rule of nines" is a method used to estimate the total body surface area (TBSA) affected by burns in adults to help quickly assess the severity of a burn injury and determine the appropriate treatment and fluid resuscitation. The breakdown of the rule of nines for adults includes:

--Head and Neck: 9% (Front: 4.5%, Back: 4.5%)
--Upper Limbs (Each Arm): 9% (Front: 4.5%, Back: 4.5%)
--Chest: 18% (Front: 9%, Back: 9%)
--Abdomen: 18% (Front: 9%, Back: 9%)
--Upper Back and Lower Back: 18% (Upper Back: 9%, Lower Back: 9%)
--Lower Limbs (Each Leg): 18% (Front: 9%, Back: 9%)
--Perineum (Genitalia and Anus): 1%

Create a Free MyAccess Profile

AccessMedicine Network is the place to keep up on new releases for the Access products, get short form didactic content, read up on practice impacting highlights, and watch video featuring authors of your favorite books in medicine. Create a MyAccess profile and follow our contributors to stay informed via email updates.